General Inquiries

For all general inquiries related to Credit Transfer, please email:

Frequently Asked Questions

To view an answer, click the question to expand the box.

What is an articulation agreement?

Articulation agreements are degree and diploma opportunities at other colleges and universities, and may also be known as "credit transfer" or "degree completion". An articulation agreement is a formal agreement between two or more institutions that allows specific programs at one institution to be credited towards direct entry or advanced standing at another.

What is the ONTransfer guide?

  • A guide with database information about transfer agreements and collaborative programs between Ontario’s Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology and the Ontario Universities
  • Lists transfer policies and practices of all institutions
  • Provides institutional contacts for further information
  • Can be accessed through

How do I find an articulation agreement that's right for me?

  • Do homework on other institutions (colleges and universities); check their web sites and find out the basic information about the program of study, the courses required, and if the school discusses credit transfer from colleges
  • Negotiations for new agreements and revisions to existing agreements occur on an on-going basis. Check the agreements listed in the diploma and degree options list, and contact your college program coordinator for current information and past history of credit transfer and student success at particular institutions
  • Access the ONTransfer Guide at

What are the benefits of obtaining a diploma and a degree?

  • The diploma offers very practical, hands-on and career focused education.
  • The degree provides a more theoretical education which can complement the practical nature of the college diploma.
  • Some jobs or promotion opportunities may require a degree.
  • A degree may offer professional development opportunities to a diploma holder to enhance existing knowledge and skills.

What should I consider when choosing a degree or diploma
completion institution?

  • Does the institution have the program or courses I am interested in studying?
  • Will this institution provide credit/advanced standing for courses that I have completed at Niagara College? There is considerable variation in the number of credits granted by individual institutions for Niagara College programs. You will want to seek the best transfer of credits possible to keep your degree completion time as short as you can.
  • Do I have the admission requirements to be accepted into the program?
  • Where would I prefer to live?
  • What can I afford? Costs will be significantly reduced if you can stay in your home area.
  • Would I prefer to study full-time or part-time or is distance education the preferred option for me?
  • Is on-line learning available?
  • What is the credibility of the institution? ie. Will the degree be recognized by my professional body or organization?
  • Are scholarships or bursaries available? Many institutions provide entrance awards, transfer awards, or scholarships for transfer students. Look for details in their awards booklets or on their websites.

What is the 'sending institution'?

The institution from which you are transferring.

What is the 'receiving institution'?

The institution to which you are transferring.

What is the advantage of an articulation agreement?

  • Articulation agreements allow you to continue your education at other institutions without having to repeat certain courses to graduate.
  • You can use your Niagara College education to earn credit towards a degree or Masters program.

Where can I find out more about a University?

  • The diploma and degree options list at provides details of articulation agreements. It also provides direct links to the universities.
  • Research a school and its services by exploring its website.
  • If you are applying to a specific program at a receiving institution, it’s probably best to contact that institution’s Admissions Office or the Liaison/Recruiting office directly.
  • During each college semester, representatives from different universities setup information sessions on campus, notices of upcoming events will be posted on the college website and Blackboard.

Who should I talk to about credit transfers?

Please contact the Transfer Credit Office by phone at 905-735-2211 at extension 7538.

Does an agreement guarantee admission to the destination program?

  • No, it does not guarantee admission.
  • You may have met all the minimum requirements for a particular program or institution, but the acceptance procedures remain the same.
  • You may not be accepted if your grades are not as high as other applicants.

Who should I talk to if I'm an international student?

Sean Coote, Manager
International Education Department
Phone: 905-735-2211, extension 7717

What are transfer credits?

  • A transfer credit is one that is granted by an institution based upon previous successful study that has been undertaken at another institution
  • Students who have completed a program of study at Niagara College will be able to transfer credits earned here towards advanced standing in an articulated program at another institution
  • Students who have successfully completed credits at another post secondary institution may in turn apply for transfer credit at Niagara College
  • Students must officially apply to have their credits recognized
  • What does it mean when courses transfer for a different value?
  • Each institution has its own credit value system
  • Institutions will not usually assign more credit to a transfer course than they assign to their own course

How do institutions determine transfer credits?

  • There are several ways in which universities and colleges assess the number of credits that they will accept as “transfer” from one institution (and program) to another
  • Block Transfer of Credits – a “block transfer” of credit is an agreement that a group of courses from a student’s program will be accepted to a related program and assigned a specific number of transfer credits. This is the simplest method of credit transfer.
  • Bridge Courses – some degree programs require Niagara College graduates to complete a few additional courses (‘bridge courses”) prior to entering the degree program. This ensures that students will have the necessary knowledge and skills for success in the degree program. Some bridge courses may be available through distance education or during spring and summer months at the degree granting institution
  • Course by Course Credit Transfer – some universities work with Niagara College to carefully match all college courses in a diploma program to the relevant university degree program. The university determines the courses that must be taken at the university and those which can be transferred from the college program.
  • Residency Requirements – all institutions require students to spend a certain amount of time (“residency”) at that school. Niagara College, for example, requires that in order to graduate from a college program, the student must take at least 25% of courses at the college. Some universities require higher residency percentages. Some also require that certain courses may be taken only at the university.
  • Formal Agreements – Niagara College has many formal, signed agreements with universities and colleges. This means that the institutions stand behind their agreements, and will offer the best credit transfer possible to Niagara graduates.
  • Generic Arrangements – there are several universities that have general arrangements for credit transfer for college graduates that apply to all Ontario colleges.
  • Individual Negotiation of Transfer Credit – all colleges and universities will consider credit transfer requests from individual students and treat them on a one-to-one basis.

Where can I transfer?

  • Niagara College can provide a pathway to a vast assortment of post-secondary institutions and programs in Canada and Internationally.
  • You can start studying at one institution and then apply to finish your degree or diploma.

How do I begin a credit transfer?

  1. Decide on the nature of the credential you are looking for – the closer it is to your Niagara College program, the better the transfer credits will be
  2. Check the Ontario College University Transfer Guide to see if and/or how your courses will transfer to other Ontario Institutions.
  3. Check transferability beforehand to help you decide which courses to take
  4. Check transferability afterwards to provide information to other institutions which will accept your courses.

What is College to College transfer?

  • When transferring from an Ontario College into the same program at Niagara College, successfully completed courses will receive full transfer credit.
  • Every effort will be made to allow the transferring student to complete the Niagara credential in the same time it would have taken for the original program.
  • When transferring into a different program at Niagara College, transfer credit will be assessed on a course by course basis, and every effort will be made to ensure that the transferring student is not required to repeat studies already successfully completed.

Can I transfer to and from institutions outside of Ontario?

If the courses taken were similar to the courses in the program you are transferring to, then you will usually receive transfer credit .

What is Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)?

  • Niagara College believes that many people acquire college-level learning and skills through various situations such as: Work experience, Community work, Non-credit courses, Self-directed study, Travel, Military service. Candidates who can show that they have achieved the learning outcomes of a specific course may be granted Niagara College credits based on an assessment of their prior learning.
  • For more information, please visit the PLAR web site at

What is the advantage of an articulation agreement?

  • Articulation agreements allow you to continue your education at other institutions without having to repeat certain courses to graduate.
  • You can use your Niagara College education to earn credit towards a degree or Masters program.
Back to Top
Back to Top